Monday, August 20, 2012

The Growling Rabbit

NOW OPEN at 6981 N. Sheridan Road Chicago 773-654-1444. The Growling Rabbit - a café in Rogers Park offers a variety of hot foods, sandwiches, soups, salads, along with baked goods, BYOB and great coffee and tea!


This weekend I skipped over to The Growling Rabbit - a cafe less than 1/4 a mile from Loyola University, on Sheridan.  I judged the book by the cover (the 6-foot rabbit on the front window) and decided to give it a whirl.

The menu sounded tasty - a mix of breakfast, brunch, lunch, & dinner with a college-town vibe and a comfort-food influence.  I opted for a cheese and mushroom quiche with vegan slaw and a cup of black coffee with a granola scone.

Total price $12

In regards to taste I was fairly satisfied.  The vegan slaw was boring but I only had 1/8 of a cup to try.  3 bites later and I found myself wondering if I had imagined it, or if it was just so bland I forgot I had eaten it.  The quiche was delicious but, and I'm not sure what this says about me, I was disappointed with the portion size.  When you can get a slice of pizza big enough to use as a baseball glove for $2.95 and then you get a piece of quiche smaller than a piece of pie, you can't help but be a little sad clown.

BUT...

I will say this - granola scone with my coffee... A+.  Eric got a cinnamon roll that was as wide as a small dinner plate and so rich I asked it to start paying my rent.  Homemade baked goods will always win a place in this country girl's heart.

My biggest complaint would be the decor.  Lime-green walls with strange photos of rabbits kind of throw around.  I think I felt a disconnect between the food prices and the way the cafe looked unfinished.  Thankfully it was a beautiful day so we sat outside and escaped having to stare at those odd little bunnies for too long.

I think they're onto something and I can't give a definitive review until I have at least one more chocolate-chip cinnamon roll.  But for now I give The Growling Rabbit....

3 out of 5 carrots.

0 comments: